Thursday, September 21, 2017

makin' money

Who wants to make some money?! Well there are lots of conventional ways and there are some out of the box ideas that I have tried over the years, and ended up making out pretty well! Both Joe and I have our regular jobs, he works full time and I have a part time job that is more of a contract set up. We like our jobs, but sometimes there is just not enough in the paycheck, and let's face it, it's always nice to have a little extra for fun things! 

So over the years I have tried some multi level marketing jobs {some where good and some were not so good}, I've helped with garage sales to make a cut, I had a small organizing business with my mom that didn't make it off the ground, and I have sold stuff on Facebook BST (buy, sell, trade) pages. For the most part Facebook BST is easy even if you don't need things to move fast or need a quick buck. Same goes for Craigslist, in my experiences. Both those platforms do not take a percentage of your bottom line and it is local, so no need for a shipping label or weighing the item. But if you have more than a handful of items, your stuff can be archived and then you need to organize it and "bump" it to advertise it. It can be a pain.

My latest find, in order to get rid of my stuff and make some money, are three apps that make it super easy and presentable to buyers! 

Poshmark
This sites nice, boutique presentation has been a nice money maker for me! Typically it is for high end brands or even upscale, nice clothing. But they now have a kids tab, so all the tiny baby clothes that have been sitting around, that garage sale shoppers want for a quarter, I can list for a couple dollars and it sells! Even toys in good condition I've had great luck with!
You take photos of your item from multiple angles, write a description, and the app has line items for size, color, brand, etc. You can share with others, follow other people, share to "parties" that the admin sets up, you get notices of those parties, you control any multiple item discount you want to offer, it's great! Poshmark takes care of the transaction, shipping label, and other concerns you may have, and in doing that, they keep 20% of the price you sold it for. You can converse with the buyer about offers and bundling items. Once you make a sale, you can transfer funds or request a check in the mail!

Vinted
This one is very similar to the above mentioned, except they only allow clothes and I have yet to see Men's or Kid's clothing on this app. The great thing about Vinted that makes it better, is that they do not take a percentage, you keep what you sell the item for! Also, I believe their shipping fees are lower, I'm not sure, but every time I see an item the shipping is under $4! Payday is transferred to your account whenever you like!

Mercari
This site let's you sell almost anything in your home, from artwork, to small appliance, to clothes and shoes, almost anything goes! They only let you have four photos of an item listed and you can have a multiple item discount, but there is no way to share, join a "party", or advertise you sale. Everytime you post an item it goes on their big initial listing page but you can't share or "bump" the item. Mercari takes care of the shipping label with a range of shipping sizes and any customer service type issues, and they keep 10% of the price you sold your item for. As I write this, I was just offered a price for a pair of earrings I have posted, I countered with $10 and the buyer accepted, so now I get $9, not too shabby! The one drawback that I wish they would change, is the waiting until your balance from sales is $20 or more in order to transfer your funds without a fee! Yeah ... not cool.

I have yet to set up anything on Ebay. My husband used to have an account and he remembers each item listed is charged a fee. I'm not sure if that is correct, I need to look up all that info and get to posting soon. Lastly, there is always Etsy for any vintage, antique, or handmade items you have laying around the house! So many crafting ideas have turned out to be pretty good, so I'm in the process of setting my Etsy shop, Wild Poppy Findings, with a hopefully grand opening at the end of September!

STOP WISHING, START DOING
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment