Friday, September 22, 2017

create a beautiful space

"the details are not the details, they make the design"
Charles Eames, you master of design, you and your wife gave us fantastic pieces that define modern architecture and furniture! This era of interior design is one of my favorites, so many materials, styles, and ways to create a space! And their influence continues, it's timeless and beautiful!

There are so many interior styles now a days, and very affordable ones as well! I think the best part of a magazine article or a diy blog, is the comparison of high end to low cost recreations, finding that great looking piece so similar to the high end one, that you could easily trick a seasoned interior designer!

Every seasons end is the best time to look for interiors, it seems like everything is marked down! The stores need that space and you are in luck to find what you want for the price you want. Recently, my sister in law was searching for a low TV stand and I suggested a coffee table. She looked at me like I was crazy and I explained there are a lot more heights of coffee tables than you think, also to check out places other than furniture stores! She was so hung up on going to different furniture stores, that my suggestion of World Market was a huge light bulb going on over her head! Truth be told, she had never been into a World Market and had no idea of the variety of items they have! Now a days every brick and mortar store have an even bigger selection online, I found that out looking for a coffee table at Target! So then I brainstormed more places to check out and to suggest to my SIL.




Some you might have to go in with your list of interior pieces you are looking for and literally just look around. HomeGoods, SteinMart, Ross, TJ Maxx, Gordmans, all have eclectic product, you never know what you might stumble upon. Same with Weekends Only, even though they do have online information about products. I've had good luck at department stores too. Macy's, JC Penney, Dillard's, Kohl's all have some furniture and home decor in store, and not too specific of a style, options for whatever your tastes may be! I've also come across Old Tyme Pottery, At Home (Garden Ridge), and Menard's for larger furniture pieces that you might not have thought to look for in these stores. 

A friend of mine told me about her shopping adventures for unique pieces, and even great wedding gifts, at Savers! I was just there last week for the first time, and I was pleasantly surprised at the great finds! My friend shops the tableware items and picks up crystal ware for friend's wedding gifts, items that you probably wouldn't think to register for. She has found vases, candle holders, serving dishes, and lots more! Me, on the other hand, I loved seeing original Pyrex in great shape for great prices! You know, the milky white, rounded bottom, retro bird design around the middle!? I've seen vendors at vintage markets with that stuff for triple the price I saw at Savers!

A few more places with lots of styles are Pier 1 Imports, Earthbound, Ikea, Crate & Barrel, Restoration Hardware, Anthropologie, and Wayfair. Now, there could be a bit of sticker shock at some of these retailers, but if you check out sale product or outlet product, you might some great deals!

Here in St. Louis, we have some amazing shops full of cool stuff! I would recommend a day to yourself to shop a t these great places, you will get lost in them for hours! Revive Thrift, May's Place, Golden Gems on Etsy, The Green Shag Market, and so many more! You can stroll down Cherokee Antique Row and make a whole day of it! Etsy is another favorite of mine, lots of styles from artisans all over the world in one space, and all you have to do is type in a few keywords to get you to your next awesome find for your home! In fact, I'm in the process of opening my Etsy shop, Wild Poppy Findings, with antique and handmade pieces for the home, at the end of September!


AN INTERIOR IS THE NATURAL PROJECTION OF THE SOUL
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment