Friday, May 19, 2017

self care for the alternative girl

Self care is a huge catch phrase this year, I feel! Does anyone else think this? Maybe more so in the parenting universe? I don't know, but everywhere I turn that's what I'm hearing about. And most of these self care practices don't really vibe with me.
My take on self care is an activity or practice that can be integrated into your life, not just a one time thing. Yes, splurge on a massage or mani/pedi, I'll be the first to tell you that for sure! But I also feel there are some things that most popular articles are leaving out, so here are my ideas on self care!
{side note} Some of these ideas involve multi-tasking. Why? ... because that's just how I roll these days!

~Chiropractor/Acupuncture. I highly recommend either of these two options for self care! Keep your whole body working the way it should with an adjustment, not just when you have a backache. Feel a cold coming on? Chiropractor! Not sleeping all that great? Acupuncture! So many reasons you should find one of these doctors, look up the benefits now and make an appointment soon!

~Float/ Salt Cave. I have been so excited to try these two therapies for awhile now. I loved going over to my Gramma's house in the summer back in California and being the only one in the pool and just floating around. It was so relaxing! I knew where I was and that I was safe but so weightless and so unplugged from everything and everybody, just peaceful! As for salt caves, my allergies have been getting worse each year and this would be a wonderful addition to my regime, the science behind it is so interesting, it would be worth my time!

~Create. Even if it is a small project with my kids, everyone is focused and being creative and enjoying themselves! Coloring some pages is our go to, but play dough is my son's favorite right now! I have a few larger projects of my own going on and get to them little by little, but that's ok because I'm creating and that's all that matters!

~Puzzle. Yes, old school, clear off the dining room table, let's do a puzzle! Nothing more than a couple hundred pieces for me, I like turning on some music or listening to a podcast too. Simple and rewarding!

~Read. Plain and simple. There are so many amazing books out there, how could you not want to try and read, in it's entirety, one book this year?! I have gone through periods of not reading anything and I feel so out of sorts when that happens, so this year I picked up a couple titles (used, of course!) so I can have a few if I get bogged down by one and need to lighten things up.

~Soak. Along with reading, soak in the tub. I like a comfy, relaxing soak with Epson salt and essential oils, both ingredients prove wonders for the body. No time to soak, a nice hot, uninterrupted, shower and shave is my alternative. I stress uninterrupted because everyone needs some alone time during the day, even just for 10 minutes.

~Face mask. Another duo with your reading in a cozy bed at the end of the day to de-stress from the world that is! As frivolous as it sounds, there are some great sheet masks and eye masks out there there feel great and rejuvenate, I have found a couple brands at Target and Sephora that won't break the bank. You can also look up at home mask recipes with honey, oatmeal, avocado, etc.

~Wander. Not far off places for me, our parks and museums here in St. Louis are pretty great places to loose yourself for a couple hours, walking, observing, exploring! Grab some friends who are in the same mind set and just get moving. And then go snag a good meal, food is fuel!

~Yoga. My good ol' standby! If I'm not doing a routine, stretching in some way, shape, or form is better than nothing. Try to clear your mind, make a quiet space, nothing fancy, just you and your breath.

It is tough to make time for yourself, some days it's too much to wash your face and brush your teeth before you collapse on your bed, regardless if you're a parent, have a fast-paced career, or a college student!
Nothing new and impressive? All of this self-care stuff you have read about before? Oh well, this is my blog and this is what I wanted to write.

LEARN TO REST
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment