Wednesday, July 19, 2017

fit-ish ~ part 3

Food is fuel, food is medicine.
As much as I try to stick with that philosophy ... a weekend of chips & salsa with margaritas, pizza and beer, or birthday cake always trips me up!

Those "funny" workout tank tops are so damn true, I run because I really like dessert!

I also like easy ways to get a good meal and I'm just now figuring out the best foods for pre-workout and post-workout to really make sure my body is doing the best it can. You know what else I like, it's cookbooks! Yes, I have a great pinterest board full of awesome meal recipes and quick snack charts from lots of different blogs from all around {check it out here} but there is something about having the pages open with sauce stains and Gramma's handwritten notes that really make cooking that much more for me! Luckily, I do have some time each week for meal prep and I do not have any major food issues, so the world is my oyster when it comes to what my taste buds are in the mood for!

I've had results with South Beach Diet and Weight Watcher guidelines of eating, and I have a very good resource when it comes to Paleo style with most of my pins guided toward flavorful low carb meals. I also like to add in veggie purees into meals and baked goods {check out this book}. I have not lowered my intake of dairy, and I don't see that happening anytime soon because I have cooked with those ingredients for way too long and I feel that it would take another twenty-something years to relearn how to cook, plus yogurt with some berries and granola is my go to breakfast!


Speaking of breakfast, my easy ideas to start the day include...
turkey bacon, sausage & egg muffins, yogurt with berries and granola, yogurt with almond butter and banana slices, red beet pancakes, smoothies, barley bowl , breakfast "cookies"overnight oats , morning quesadilla {warming in the microwave works just as great!}, bowl of berries , and most of these I pair together. And don't forget the COFFEE!
So many of these are also pre workout snacks too.

So after the morning chaos and the day begins, it seems like in a blink of an eye someone is hungry for lunch! "We just had breakfast! Why are you hungry again, oh wait, it's 11:45 already!?" 

Yeah, it's lunch time and I need to stay away from the easy-to-grab cheese crackers ... ok, quick and healthy, I got this ...
rice cake with cheese or almond butter or avocado, protein shake, smoothies {so many choices!} and more smoothies , turkey and cheese, hummus and broccoli, lettuce wraps , chicken salad because there is always left over chicken in the fridge, always! trail mix, roasted chickpeas, an awesome salad with mandarin oranges and chicken or strawberries and steak, sweet potato fries, stuffed pita pocket in which I stuff salami, lettuce and tomato or chickpeas, spinach and a delicious dressing! I make ahead a lot of these on Sunday for the week or the freezer.

Dinner plans very since this household has different taste buds everyday of the week but something super helpful is a meal calendar that I pencil in dinner for every day of the week each month. This has made life SO much easier and all of that will be another post for another day, so stay tuned!

EAT GOOD, FEEL GOOD 
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment