Thursday, October 19, 2017

how to create a command center

I find being organized, peaceful. But, the path to get there can be crazy!
We have created tiny office near the kitchen so we don't have to keep running up and down the stairs to the office and it has been the best organized space ever! It is small and has the basics of what we need everyday, and it was made with items I already had around the house {even better}!
A few basic tips ...
Find an out of the way space that is not in the path of everyone, kitchen to garage, dining room to backyard, etc.

Decide what you fell is necessary to make life easier, hooks for keys, hooks for backpack, space for shoes, charging station, etc.

Important papers that need to be accessed but don't hold personal info like school calendars, gift cards/coupons, workout/stretching for medical reasons schedule, etc.

Emergency contact info for the babysitter is part of our command center too. I have hours for the ice rink, pools, museums, zoo special events printed out as well. 

Supplies such as mini stapler, batteries, rubber bands, pen, paperclips all reside in drawers along with a basket of kid's activities the little things they need help with or messy projects they need help with.

Speaking of supplies ...
A lot of the command center has containers that I have had for years of stuff from my parents house, the amount of office supplies they have hoarded over the years was enormous! Other things were simple and cheap enough to buy.

TV Tray that we wedding registered for at Bed Bath and Beyond as a desk fit quit nice in the space I chose, and had space underneath for rain boots and flip flops for any stepping outside we need to do. I placed plants in front to hide them just enough (and it's the only place in the house with nice light to keep them alive!)

Baskets are from my own stash of stuff I have held on to, and lo and behold they now have a purpose! One is from Dollar Tree and the other I found at a garage sale. Check out garage sales, Savers, or goodwill for baskets before you go buying new!

Folder Holders are sturdy and this one is from my parent's office supplies, that I painted. I've seen the diy from a cereal box and would not recommend going that route, too flimsy. All the folders are from the back to schools sales in August, they contain medical info, school info, and projects around the house info! I also have a first aid book which I feel is the best place to shelve, easy to grab if needed! Next to that is a random cup full of pens and highlighters for easy planning and color coding your life!


Mini 3 Drawers I had for years and years for art supplies! Art supplies grew and it was moved around many times and now has landed here with batteries, staplers, matches, etc, your typical junk drawer just minimized! Try The Container Store for a product like this or any odd size container you might need! On top of that we keep phones since the outlet for the charger is right there. My husband keeps his phone, keys, wallet upstairs on the dresser since he uses the phone as an alarm and it is the last place he stops before heading out the garage door, but my wallet, keys, phone are kept together at the command center so I can grab and go out the door.

Wall Hanging Baskets are great for odds and ends, I found these ones at Target, backside of the aisles are where mark downs are kept and I had great luck finding these when I needed them! Coupons, menus, gift cards are all kept here along with sunglasses. These baskets work so well as hooks for sunglasses!

Cork Board is another item that has been passed around my family, you never toss a bulletin cork board or a dry erase white board, those are expensive, but if you do need one, Office Depot might be a good starting point! I clip together park and museum info, sporting event tickets and info, emergency contact sheet and a monthly activity calendar.  Check out Quill and  Yoobi for some fun supplies and other office things to make your space unique! Between the monthly activity calendar and my phone calendar, I never miss an appointment, plus it helps when the kids are bored and I jotted activity ideas down on each date!

Friends of mine add their meal prep lists and meal calendar too, but for me, that works better on the fridge next to the grocery list and blender bottles. Right now we don't need individual stations but I've seen some great ideas on personalizing each space for each family member! 
At the end of each month I sit down and go through calendars, coordinate nights out with meals, timing of activities and school pick up, appointments, meet ups with friends and all that crazy stuff that makes life flow easier! All these are, for me, are reminders so I can just go, be at peace, and  have fun and not be consumed with who needs what next and where I need to be, or running up and down the stairs to the office {although, I would get in my steps and leg workout for the day ...}

Add a few wall prints or photos and you have yourself a nice little space for all your office needs! 


A PLACE FOR EVERYTHING AND EVERYTHING IN IT'S PLACE
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment